The Papillion Fire Department paid a visit to the Papillion Police Department on Thursday, but it wasn't a courtesy call. The firefighters were summoned when smoke started filling the station at 1000 E. First St.
Just after 6 p.m., fire alarms went off and the building was evacuated. Firefighters discovered that a heating unit on the roof had caught fire, melting plastic and sending smoke into the building, said Police Chief Leonard Houloose.
Houloose said the electricity was cut to the unit, and the cost of damage was still being assessed.
"There's no lasting damage that we can tell," he said. "But there is a lingering smell."
The station is fully operational, Houloose said.