How to Obtain Your Marriage License
Download the application worksheet at
Submit application in person to:
Douglas County Clerk's Office,
1819 Farnam St., Room H08 in Omaha
Sarpy County Marriage License Dept.,
Administration wing of main courthouse,
1210 Golden Gate Drive in Papillion
(84th Street and Highway 370).
Make sure you have the following:
1. $15 cash or credit card (no personal checks) to pay fee for marriage license.
2. Cash to prepay for certified copies of the license ($5 each). A certified copy is required for the bride to change her name on her driver's license and Social Security records.
3. Proof of identity/age: valid driver's license, passport or certified copy of birth certificate.
4. Bride and groom's Social Security numbers.
5. The names of the bride and groom's parents (including mother's maiden name), and their parents' birthplaces (city and state or foreign country).
6. If either applicant has been married previously, the date the previous marriage ended will be needed (court date or date of death).
Marriage license is good for one year from date of issuance in any county in Nebraska. Your marriage license must be obtained in the state in which you will be married.
There is no waiting period.
All marriage licenses obtained in Nebraska are public records.
Instructions and forms for obtaining a marriage license in Pottawattamie County (including Council Bluffs) can be found at
Copyright ©2014 Omaha World-Herald®. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or redistributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald.